Learner Development SIG Community Activities 2013
Updated 8 September 2013
Local area get-togethers
Local get-togethers are non-presenter based events where SIG members discuss in pairs and small groups their learning, teaching and researching practices and interests. Currently get-togethers take place in Hiroshima, Kansai and Tokyo.
In Hiroshima, we are continuing to meet for LD get-togethers just about every month, but are just starting to introduce get-togethers alternating between Friday evenings (end of March, May...) and Saturday afternoons (end of April, June...). The aim is simply to be available to a greater number of people who are interested joining us. We meet at the Ryugakusei Kaikan, a few minutes' from Hiroshima Station.
Bring your learner development hopes, plans, research projects for the new academic year with you. And if you have something good to read related to learner development / autonomy, please bring that along too. Look forward to seeing you! The get-togethers will continue to be managed by Jim Ronald and Andrew Brady, but we are looking forward to expanding the runnning of the get-togethers to three or four people.
If you would like to know more, please get in touch with Jim Ronald (jmronald AT MARK gmail DOT com or 082-222-4445) or just come along to a meeting. You are welcome!
On 28th September at Osaka JALT Chapter Tech day we had a lunchtime drop-in session. "Come and chat to LD SIG at lunchtime". I set up a table with Learning Learning on my laptop, MAYA, and some fliers for the Learner Development SIG conference in November. During lunchtime we had about 7 people round the table and some searching questions about learner autonomy were asked. I encouraged people to come to the Forum at JALT national.
We are hoping to have another joint afternoon with Kobe JALT early in 2014. Hopefully we can talk more between now and then and have a plan in place by December. We are also thinking about going out for a meal during the December-January holiday to discuss and plan for our bigger event. If you are interested then please contact us.
We have a bit of a change in personnel as Gretchen Clark is on maternity leave (congratulations! we're going to miss you so please come back soon!) and Michael Wilkins is also stepping down from being the local contact, but will continue to help and join events. Thanks and "otsukare sama" to Gretchen and Michael and Ann Flanagan who has also been helping out!
Our new contact people are me, Ellen Head, ellenh AT MARK kansaigaidai DOT ac DOT jp. and Brandon Kramer, brandon.l.kramer AT MARK gmail DOT com. We look forward to getting your suggestions by e-mail and maybe having a chance to meet at the LD forum at JALT2013!
- Link to our online Smore flyer: https://www.smore.com/ma90-kansai-get-together
- Link to our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/groups/126518854184011/?bookmark_t=group
Tokyo get-togethers: Next meeting 15 December, followed by a 'bonenkai'
The next Greater Tokyo Area get-together will take place on Sunday December 15 at Otsuma Women’s University in Chiyoda-ku. The December get-together will be followed by a 'bonenkai' in a nearby restaurant in the Ichigaya area (more details to follow in early November). For more information and get-together reports, please see the Tokyo get-together blog.
There are a number of ways of getting to Otsuma Women’s University:
- a 7-minute walk up and down a slope from Hanzomon Station Exit 5 (see map [in Japanese]);
- a 10-minute walk from Ichigaya Station on the JR Chuo, Sobu Lines: (see map [in English]) ;
- an 11-minute walk, albeit uphill, from Kudanshita from Exit 2 (see map [in Japanese]).
Please join us if you can!
We hope that many SIG members will be able to take part in these different local SIG meetings. For more information, contact the local area get-together coordinator(s) nearest to you. For contact details please see the officers page.
- Hiroshima: Andrew Brady and Jim Ronald
- Kansai: Phil Brown, Gretchen Clark, Greg Rouault, and Michael Wilkins
- Tokyo: Andy Barfield, Ken Ikeda, and Stacey Vye
Background to the local area get-togethers
In the 1990s when the Learner Development SIG started out, we tried to do things a little differently by holding small meetings, without a presenter, where people could talk with each other directly about their interests. Since JALT2006, members of the Learner Development SIG across Japan have been re-connecting with this original combination of learner and teacher development. Different local groups have been getting together to talk about learner and teacher development issues of central concern to those taking part.
Reflections from previous local area get-togethers
- 13 September 2009 Greater Tokyo Get-Together Reflections -- Particpants' reflections on "Using Narratives in Second Language Research"
- 14 September 2008 Greater Tokyo Get-Together Reflections -- Particpants' reflections from the September 2008 gathering, scaffolding, part two.
- 13 July 2008 Greater Tokyo Get-Together Reflections -- Particpants' reflections from the summer 2008 gathering focused on scaffolding.
- 13 January 2008 Greater Tokyo Get-Together Reflections -- Partipants' reflections on this year's first Tokyo get-together.
- Third Tokyo Local Gathering Report -- This story from the 13 May (2007) local get-together in Tokyo includes reflections from participants.
- Second Tokyo Local Gathering Report -- This story from the second local get-together in Tokyo includes reflections from participants.